NASHVILLE, TN (June 19, 2022) – Nashville Football Club suffered their first home defeat since November 4, 2020 on Sunday night, losing 2-1 to Sporting Kansas City in front of a crowd of 29,269 at GEODIS Park.
Nashville forward Ake Loba scored Nashville’s goal in the second half after attacking the net and rebounding. The Golden Boys were originally awarded a penalty at the end of the second half to be able to equalize, but after a video review, Alex Muyle was ruled offside before the foul.
Fucking run: Nashville SC’s home unbeaten streak was recorded in 22 regular season games, 25 in all competitions. The 22-match mark was tied with the Portland Timbers and Columbus Crew, marking the sixth longest streak in MLS history.
Hungry like a wolf Tonight, Loba scored his second goal in four games in all competitions this season after scoring against Louisville City in the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup on May 25.
National Spotlight: This Saturday, June 25, Nashville SC complete three consecutive nationally televised away games against DC United on ESPN and ESPN Deportes. Fans can also listen to the match on the official Nashville SC mobile app provided by GEODIS, the free iHeartRADIO app by searching for Nashville SC in English and all three El Jefe stations 96.7FM, 105.3FM and 810AM in Spanish.
Chronology of matches
SKC 41′: Felipe Hernandez shoots into the bottom right corner on an unassisted long free kick to open the goal
SKC 51′: Graeme Zusi receives a pass from Remy Walter and scores from outside the box with his left foot.
NS 63 ‘: Loba saved a shot from the goalkeeper and finds the back of the goal, scoring a goal from the top of the penalty area.
- Nashville SC:
- An unbeaten streak of 25 home matches, which lasted 593 days, was interrupted.
- in their 25-match unbeaten streak, the club beat their rivals 51-25.
- 5W-2L-3D in last 10 matches in all competitions
- ended his season streak with Sporting Kansas City by splitting a couple of games
- beat Sporting KC 60.9-39.1 tonight
- out-shot and landed more shots on target than SKC
- will play two more away games (June 25 at DC United in the MLS regular season and June 29 at Orlando City SC in the US Open Cup) before returning home to GEODIS Park on July 3 to face the Portland Timbers.
- finished week 15 in the playoff position, three points clear of the red line with a record of 6W-5L-5D and 23 points.
- Today Anibal Godoy wore the captain’s armband.
- Randall Leal returned to the squad tonight, appearing in the 76th minute.
- Jack Maher led in shots (2), assists completed (74) and rebounds (11).
- Dax McCarthy appeared in his 423rd career MLS regular season game.
- Hani Mukhtar led Nashville in chances created tonight (3) and passes completed in the final third (12).
Nashville SC (6W-5L-5D, 23 pts) vs. Sporting Kansas City (4W-9L-4D, 16 pts)
June 19, 2022 – GEODIS Park
CCM: Felipe Hernandez 41′
CCM: Graeme Zusi (Remy Walter), 51′
NS: Ake Loba 63′ (unaided)
NS: Anibal Godoy (careful) 40′
CCM: Tim Melia (careful) 81′
CCM: Johnny Russell (careful) 86′
CCM: Roger Espinoza (careful) 86′
NS: Joe Willis, Daniel Lovitz, Dave Romney (Taylor Washington, 64′), Jack Maher, Eric Miller (Randal Leal, 76′), Honey Mukhtar, Alex Muile, Anibal Godoy © (Dax McCarthy, 64′), Tah Brian Anunga ( Ake Loba, 46)’), Sean Davis, CJ Sapong
Unused Subs: Ethan Zubak, Josh Bauer, Luke Haakenson, Elliot Panicko, Will Meyer
SKK: Tim Melia, Andreu Fontas, Nicolas Isimat, Graham Zusi, Logan Ndenbe, Felipe Hernandez, Cam Duke (Roger Espinosa, 74), Remy Walter (Courtney Ford, 80), Johnny Russell © (Kyden Pierre, 90 +5), Hiri Shelton , Daniel Salloy
Unused subs: Ben Sweet, Robert Voloder, Jake Davis, Kendall McIntosh, Marinos Zionis, Cave Red.
Attendance: 29,269 people
Weather: Clear, 84 degrees