Netflix has had huge success in the past adapting popular titles, and the trend is set to continue. We’re here to tell you about the many upcoming Netflix book adaptations that are specifically turned into movies, slated for release in 2022 or later.
The last time we covered upcoming Netflix book adaptations was back in 2019, and there was a lot to talk about back then, but now it’s getting ridiculous! We’re just going to be talking about confirmed movie book adaptations, not TV shows (which we’ll cover in a separate article) or just the books that Netflix has chosen (we’ll talk about that separately too!).
We will now specifically exclude comics (with one notable exception) from this list, as we have already covered them in a separate preliminary post.
Switching to Netflix: 2022
Andrew Dominic’s “Blonde” took a very long time to make, as it was adapted from a novel by Joyce Carol Oates about a fictionalized version of the life of Hollywood actress and model Marilyn Monroe.
Switching to Netflix: July 2022
The Russo brothers’ big Netflix summer movie is actually based on a novel, and quite a cult one at that. We are, of course, referring to the book written by Mark Greaney.
The film, due to release on Netflix on July 22, is one of the biggest to date, with a budget of $200 million.
Mr Harrigan’s phone
Ryan Murphy and Jason Bloom are adapting a Stephen King story. It’s a horror movie due out on Netflix at the end of 2022 (most likely around Halloween).
It stars Donald Sutherland, Jayden Martell and Joe Tippett in the lead roles and is being adapted by John Lee Hancock.
Previously in development at 20th Century Fox (which was a webcomic before it became a novel), this adaptation of Noel Stevenson’s Nimona was apparently lost after the studio behind the title was shut down. .
Then, in early 2022, news broke that Netflix would revive the project and release it exclusively.
Directed by Nick Bruno and Troy Quane, the animated feature film follows a troubled young werewolf who is an aide to supervillain Lord Ballister Blackheart and works together to stop Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin and the Law Enforcement and Heroics Institute.
Intended to be a modern adaptation of Jane Austen’s Persuasion, this film is produced by MRC and stars Dakota Johnson and Henry Golding as Ann Elliot and Mr. Elliot, respectively.
It’s due out in July 2022 and there’s been a lot of hype around it.
Adam Sandler will play Jakub in this sci-fi adventure film based on the Czech book by Jaroslav Kalfar. Astronaut of Bohemia.
Not expected to appear on Netflix until 2023, the film is about an orphan boy who grows up in the Czech countryside and overcomes all odds to become his country’s first astronaut.
Sandler will be joined by Paul Dano, Carey Mulligan and Isabella Rossellini.
David Fincher will bring to life this adaptation of the comic book series by Alexis Nolent, which is available as a full graphic novel (which is why we made this list), and will star Michael Fassbender and Tilda Swinton.
The plot of the world travel movie revolves around a killer who starts to break down when he gets a conscience while hunting for his prey and wants to get away.
The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar
One of the many Roald Dahl adaptations in the works is a live-action film directed by Wes Anderson and starring Benedict Cumberbatch, Dev Patel, Ralph Fiennes and Ben Kingsley.
McG is directing this adaptation of Scott Westerfeld’s novel from a screenplay by Krista Vernoff.
Here’s what you can expect from the film, which wrapped filming at the end of 2021:
Set in an Orwellian future in which teenagers undergo surgery at 16 to become supermodels, the story follows Tully Youngblood, an ‘ugly’ teenager forced by the authorities to abandon her transformation until she infiltrates The Smoke, a community of rebels who choose to keep their appearance and live outside of normal society.”
More book adaptations coming soon to Netflix
- 13: Musical – A coming-of-age adaptation of Robert Horne’s novel about a little boy who moves from New York to small Indiana town.
- Women’s Sales Guide – Romantic comedy directed by Meg Ryan based on the novel by Sally Franson.
- All Quiet on the Western Front – Based on the novel by Erich Maria Remarque and the remake of the 1930 film adapted by Universal Pictures, this German-language adaptation is available exclusively on Netflix.
- Black brother, black brother – An adaptation of the coming-of-age novel by Jewell Parker Rhodes.
- black samurai – Screen version of the action movie Addictive Pictures based on the book by Mark Alden.
- Caste: the origins of our discontent – Based on the book by Isabelle Wilkerson, Ava DuVernay’s ARRAY will handle this adaptation.
- Dangerous ties – French novel adapted from Choderlos De Laclos and released July 2022.
- Dial A for Aunts – Adaptation of Dial A for Aunts (Aunts #1) by Jessie K. Sutanto.
- The dog is gone – Rob Lowe will star in this family drama. Based on the book by Pauls Tutonga.
- erengard Danish adaptation of Karen Blixen’s novel.
- Exit to the west – Obama Higher Ground Productions and Russo Brothers AGBO are working on a film adaptation of Mohsin Hamid.
- family vacation – A family comedy based on the book by Amy Krause Rosenthal starring Jennifer Garner.
- Happiness for Beginners – A romantic comedy based on the novel by Catherine Senter, starring Ellie Kemper and Luke Grimes.
- Hello, goodbye and everything in between – Based on the novel by Jennifer E. Smith and produced by ACE Entertainment, this teen romance film follows a young couple who rebuild their relationship before separating and heading off to college. Expected in July 2022.
- High in the clouds An animated feature film based on the book by Paul McCartney.
- I’m not your perfect Mexican daughter – LatinX adaptation of the book by Erica Sanchez.
- Ivy and Bean – A children’s adaptation of the Annie Barrows illustrated book series, which is planned for several editions over the years.
- Lady Chatterley’s lover – This DH Lawrence adaptation starring Emma Corrin is exclusive to Netflix.
- Leave the world behind – Sam Esmail is adapting this thriller novel published by Rumaan Alam for Netflix.
- Love and ice cream – This new romantic film directed by Brandon Camp is an adaptation of the novel by Jenna Evans Welch. Expected in June 2022.
- The happiest girl in the world – This thriller starring Mila Kunis is an adaptation of a novel by Jessica Knoll. Knoll will also take part in the adaptation to write the screenplay. Due to release in 2022.
- Matilda – Another adaptation by Roald Dahl will be released on Netflix in December 2022.
- Storm Offering – Netflix is going to distribute this Spanish-language adaptation of Dolores Redondo’s book in selected regions.
- Rez Ball — An adaptation of Michael Powell’s novel Canyon Dreams: Basketball Season of the Navajo Nation.
- Snow Society – A foreign language adaptation of a book by Pablo Vierci that documents the story of Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571 that crashed in the Andes.
- Electric state – Previously at Universal, this film was made from an adaptation of Simon Stålenhag’s illustrated novel and is considering moving to Netflix.
- good nurse – In this big-budget film (reportedly around $30 million), Eddie Redmayne and Jessica Chastain adapt Charles Graeber’s novel first released in 2013.
- Wizard Elephant An animated feature film based on the children’s book by Kate DiCamillo.
- Girls from Netherfield – Modern update of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice.
- Pale blue eye Christian Bale will direct the film adaptation of Louis Bayard’s novel.
- School of good and evil – Released in September 2022, this fantasy film is an adaptation of Soman Chainani’s book franchise.
- Choice – A teenage romance novel by Kira Kass is in development on Netflix, but it’s unclear where exactly.
- Statistical probability of love at first sight – Another Ace Entertainment adaptation of the novel by Jennifer E. Smith, starring Jameela Jameel and Ben Hardy.
- Miracle – A romantic adaptation of the novel by Emma Donoghue.
- Treehorn – Animated adaptation of Florence Parry Heide’s book directed by Ron Howard.
- true spirit — Adaptation of Jessica Watson’s biography True Spirit: The Australian Who Conquered the World.
- White noise – Previously considered inept, Noah Baumbach will do his best. Based on the 1986 novel by Dom DeLillo.
Have we missed any major book adaptations at Netflix? Let us know in the comments below.